Wednesday, November 4, 2015

You Can Endure Longer Than You Think


Sometimes we think our struggles will never end. If only we knew WHEN they would end we could pace ourselves, right?

One day while going for a run, I decided I would NOT look at the time to see how long I had been running. Instead, I set a timer on my phone. I would stop running when the timer went off. 

I ran and I ran and I ran. Surely, my time was up, I thought. But I knew I would hear the timer, and I forced myself not to look at the time. 

Finally, when I thought I would keel over, I stopped running and pulled out my phone to check how long it had been. Only then did I realize that, somehow, I had paused the timer just four seconds after I had started it and I had been running about seven minutes longer than I had planned. Those of you who run know that seven minutes can seem like an eternity. 

And then I had an epiphany: Our Father in Heaven doesn't usually let us know how long we will have a particular challenge in our life. If we did know, we might not gain the extra strength and endurance we need. And then, when it is finally over, we realize that we are stronger than we ever thought we could be. 

How kind our Father in Heaven is to help us grow and progress. He can make us into so much more than we could by ourselves.