Monday, September 14, 2015

Beauty Among the Weeds

I drove into my driveway and groaned at the plethora of weeds that filled my yard. It's just like they say: "A messy house/yard indicates a messy life." Was that really true? That's how I felt. My life was definitely full of weeds, with less than a miniscule hope of getting rid of them.  

I had just spent over ten hours driving in the car with my children after a much-needed vacation and I dreaded coming back home to "real life."


I forced my stiff body to walk to the mailbox before entering the house. Just then, something caught my eye. It was my roses. Before I had left on my vacation, they had nearly been choked with a foreign vine. "Those are as good as dead," I had thought. But, now they were thriving and in full bloom! I could hardly believe it! Someone had completely removed the detested vine and watered and nurtured the roses with great care. 

Of course, I knew this "someone" had been my husband, who had stayed home to fulfill some work obligations. I glanced around my yard further and found my petunias looking lush and full. My grass, though untrimmed, was green and healthy. 

"Even among all the weeds, my husband sure knows how to make things beautiful," I thought. 

It was then that I knew how I was going to make it. I just needed to stop looking at the weeds in my life and find the things that were beautiful. And the more I thought about it, the more I could see. 

Now I can tell you that my life truly is a flourishing garden! Yes, there are weeds, but when I number all the gorgeous things, I hardly notice them.